21st May, 2018
The Director General
State Security Services
THE REAL INTENDMENT OF THE MANY CRIES OF THE ALL PROGRESSIVES CONGRESS, AKWA IBOM STATE CHAPTER
Rational minds were shocked by the publication of a personal letter addressed to you in your name (Lawal Musa Daura) on page 37 of Nation Newspaper of Thursday May 17, 2018 by the Publicity Secretary of the APC in Akwa Ibom State, ‘Barr Edet Eyo Bassey Esq,’ asking that you use your good offices to launch intensive investigations into the personal attacks, insults and abuses against the President by the Governor and officials of Akwa Ibom State Government.
The tone of the letter was constantly sauntering from personal to official and therefore very confusing. But to set the records right, we , as the party that midwifed all the democratic leadership in Akwa Ibom State since 1999 will like to state the following:
1. The Attorney General of Akwa Ibom State, Uwemedimo Nwoko has never launched a PERSONAL attack on President Muhammadu Buhari, since he has no reason to. But he has consistently and will consistently join all right-thinking Nigerians to demand for the enthronement of the rule of law in Public Governance at all levels. Of course that is one of the demands of his office. The said gentleman, Uwemedimo Nwoko is a Senior Lawyer of repute, who unlike the author of the publication under reference, is well seasoned in the proper use of English (both oral and written).
2. The author and his friends in the retrogressive school of thought have mistaken opposing views in public discourse for personal attacks. They also bask in the foolhardiness that Mr. Nwoko should not complain about the daily loss of lives to Herdsmen/Farmer crisis because the incidents are not happening within his jurisdiction. They have forgotten the time tested and incontrovertible postulation that injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
3. These open letters have remained unceasing and will continue to be manufactured in the days ahead. It is a political strategy to attempt to put a strain on the cordial relationship existing between the President and the Governor of Akwa Ibom State. This relationship according to the author in his previous letters, threaten their already slim chances of winning elections in Akwa Ibom State.
Additionally, we have intelligence to the fact that the author and his party, intend to sponsor violence in the state to justify their demand for the declaration of a state of emergency in Akwa Ibom State (in the hope that democratic structures can be suspended in their favour).Where all of these fail, their last resort is to sponsor crisis on the first day of elections to prevent the smooth conduct of elections in the state, thereby leading to a rescheduling of the Governorship election.
The strategy is to seek to mobilise security from all parts of the country to the State to help in delivering the State to their party and to intimidate and arrest our party chieftains. Unfortunately, their playbook is now an open book- our party members and the entire people of Akwa Ibom State will be ready and watching as the events unfold.
4. This particular letter and its predecessors are a loud cry for help from a drowning party to persons and institutions they think should help. The unfortunate part is that these crying babies are either oblivious or ignorant of the fact that some of these institutions are, or ought to be patriotic and national in disposition and not partisan or sectional, in order to sustain public trust and confidence.
5. You may find it interesting to know that this External Weeping Strategy (EWS) employed by the APC in Akwa Ibom State is not a lone child, it has many siblings. The author and his co-travellers exhibit unmistakable symptoms of being paranoid. They are afraid of their shadows and the whole blame must fall at the doorsteps of the Government and the Peoples Democratic Party. A case in point is the recent accusation of the State Government of preventing the APC from the use of Public venues for their state Congress.
This accusation made by Senator Ita Enang should not and will not be taken seriously because of the perennial comical and infantile postulations that have been concocted and circulated by the character in reference. But because it was made in, and for the public, as a part of their weeping strategy, we must address same publicly. These accusations have been absolutely baseless and without any merit. The truth which they would rather not say, is that the current administration in the state has been the most tolerant to the opposition and mature in handling irritant exhibition of indiscretion, which has become definitional of the APC in our state. Let’s avail you of the following instances which you are at liberty to confirm from your office and officers in the state.
(i) The Governor approved the use of the Akwa Ibom House in Abuja by Obong Nsima Ekere as the venue for his reception immediately after his inauguration as NDDC Managing Director. At the event, many members of the APC and friends of the celebrator abused the Governor for being weak and allowing the opposition access to the State Government House in Abuja, adding that they will soon take over the state Government House in Uyo.
(ii) Despite the insults hurled at the governor at the event stated in (i) above, the Governor again approved the same venue in Abuja for use by the National Commissioner, National Population Commission, Engr. Ben Ukpong (another APC stalwart and federal appointee).
(iii) In November, 2017 the state Government approved without any delay the use of Uyo Township stadium for the APC to hold her local government flag off rally.
(iv) To use a venue, a person must book same and make requisite payment to the authorized body. There is no evidence adduced by them to their booking and payment for any public space in Uyo or any other part of the state. Mr. Enang however alluded to the refusal by the managers of Mboho Mkparawa Ibibio hall to grant them access. The facility in question is privately owned by a foremost socio-cultural group called Mboho Mkparawa Ibibio and is given out to people or organizations desirous of its use, after conditions have been met. If their party has assumed a pariah status in the state where private owners of event centers have decided to avoid, then the PDP-led government in the state is not to blame.
6. Please it will be squarely within the purview of your good offices to advise them to desist forthwith from alarmist tendencies, as there are dangerous concomitant security perspectives thereto. It is widely alleged that it was a similar false alarm (howbeit covert ) at the dawn of this administration, that motivated your office to send operatives to invade the Government House in our state, followed by the persecution of security personnel and the subsequent overhaul of the security architecture in our state. We are witnesses to the fact that these steps which were motivated by deceitful information and partisan protectionism left a lingering sour taste. It would therefore be in the best interest of democracy for you to, either in your personal or official capacity, admonish or better put remind, the author and his political amalgam, to always use political formula to answer political questions, rather than seek to use the National security structure to gain political mileage.
7. The current leadership of Akwa Ibom state is divinely orchestrated and therefore will continue to be divinely protected, irrespective of the high powered devilish machinations aimed at thwarting the divine mandate. We can only assure them that our God will frustrate the devices of the crafty, so that their hands cannot perform their enterprise.
8. We are confident to assume that with the depth of professional knowledge and the wealth of practical experience that you abundantly possess, you will continue to thread on the honourable path of truth, justice and national patriotism, not bowing to partisan or sectional pressure. This country of ours has witnessed a lot of trials, therefore the present turmoil is only an additional test of our resilience, which we shall expectedly overcome, not through partisan protectionism, but by collaborative efforts birthed by equality and justice.
We wish you a very happy Democracy Day celebration ahead.
Comrade Ini Ememobong, ANIPR
Peoples Democratic Party
Akwa Ibom State